Merchants Bank, Winona, is seeking a Commercial/Consumer Appraisal Evaluation Specialist. Duties include managing the daily appraisal order and evaluation process for Consumer and Commercial loans. Provides continuous follow-up and support for lenders and customers and ensures the Bank is adhering to standards. A minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
Work is performed under minimal supervision according to established policies and procedures; emphasis of this position is to manage the daily appraisal order and evaluation process for Consumer and Commercial loan types. Provides continuous follow-up and support for lenders and customers on various types of appraisals. Ensures the Bank is adhering to FIRREA Regulation and USPAP Standards.
This position may be required to assume other various Credit Administration duties as requested by the manager.
This position requires a well-organized and motivated individual with the ability to work in a fast paced environment and maintain follow through as needed.
- Coordinate the placement of appraisal and evaluation orders and ensure timely receipt from appraisers;
- Monitor the appraisal helpdesk and email group on a daily basis;
- Ensure independence between the appraisers and lenders;
- Complete appraisal and evaluation reviews to ensure compliance with USPAP and sound evaluation practice;
- Ensure adherence to bank procedure & policy as it relates to the Appraisal – Evaluation policy; adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions is a must.
- Resolve and provide solutions to lenders regarding disputes;
- Works to resolve any potential regulatory violations in loan files;
- Maintain tracking on trends in regional markets along with commercial cap rates and real estate values;
- Track appraiser complaints and performance;
- Maintain procedures for job duties;
- May be required to assist in updating appraiser licenses and checking enforcement actions on annual basis;
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of this job;
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
Indicators of Success:
- Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner and provide outstanding customer service to both.
- Will complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner.
- Work is completed in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Excellent communication to keep work flow balanced and moving forward.
- Employee will demonstrate good time management skills while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Employee must be willing to perform independently and be a self-motivator.
- A minimum of an Associate’s Degree is preferred, preferably in Accounting or Finance.
- Will be required to take standard appraisal training courses as directed by the bank and will be expected to complete ongoing educational requirements.
- Working knowledge and understanding of USPAP and FIRREA is required;
- Attend annual USAP Appraisal/Evaluation Management Training;
Inside working environment, very low noise level, work performed primarily sitting at a desk. Requires finger dexterity to operate office equipment.
Requires above-average aptitude in the area of math/number skills. Accuracy shall be a top priority of this position.
Amiable personality with ability to stand firm on decisions to ensure legal and compliance adherence. Must be excellent team worker.
Reports to the AVP/Credit Support Manager for fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, authority, and for proper interpretation.
Will mainly have contact with internal staff and appraisers. Expected to always conduct self in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the Bank.