Merchants Bank established in 1875 is a growing, employee owned company, dedicated to a philosophy of community banking with total company wide assets of over $2 billion. Due to continued growth, we are searching for a Commercial Banker to grow our commercial lending area in the Rochester, Minnesota area market.
The Commercial Banker is responsible for the development, origination, processing and service of all personal, professional, agricultural, and commercial customers in the Rochester area – both borrowing and non-borrowing. Responsibility includes developing and maintaining a profitable loan portfolio at a minimum and prudent risk level in conformance with guidelines set forth in the Bank’s loan policy guidelines and ensuring customer satisfaction by practicing excellent customer service techniques and standards. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong community involvement.
This position requires a college degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill the requirements of the position. Five years of commercial banking experience is required.
This position requires residency within the community it serves – specifically, residency within the Rochester, MN community or within minimal distance outside Rochester proper.
Competitive salary and benefit package provided, including an ESOP. Apply online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, mail resume and cover letter to Merchants Bank, Attn: Beth Ede, CHRO, 102 East 3rd St., Winona, MN 55987, or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Develop, originate, process and service all personal, professional, agricultural, commercial customers of Rochester, both borrowing and non-borrowing. Primary objectives are to develop and maintain a profitable loan portfolio at minimum and prudent risk level in conformance with guidelines set forth in the Bank's loan policy manual. Ensure continuing customer satisfaction by practicing good customer service techniques.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Originate and service commercial loans and deposits to contribute to the development of a sound and profitable commercial loan portfolio.
- Call directly on existing customers to solidify an on-going relationship.
- Actively solicit new business prospects through direct calls. Cross sell banking products and services as appropriate.
- Interview loan applicants, collect and analyze financial and related data to determine the general credit-worthiness of the prospective loan request. Screen credit applications and make credit decisions. Assist, as necessary, in the credit approval process.
- Establish and negotiate the terms under which credit will be extended.
- Advise customers, where possible, on business management and financial matters.
- Develop and present material for loan request to the credit committees.
- Supervise preparation of loan underwriting, review and loan closing documents. Follow up on loan documentation and overall financial and repayment performance.
- Ensure timely and accurate compilation and preparation of file comments and credit approval documents for use by department head as well as loan committee.
- Coach staff personnel in preparing loan documents, correspondence, and customer follow-up.
- Monitor loan repayment activities and take the necessary action to collect past due accounts.
- Ensure minimal loss from outstanding commercial loans through effective utilization of the Bank's loan policy procedures.
- Share in achieving Departmental and Bank goals specifically as they relate to credit quality and profitability.
- Participate in Bank staff meetings
- Actively participate in community affairs and civic organizations to promote not only the Bank but the incumbent as well.
- Other duties as assigned
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Positions are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally. Lifting will generally not require over 10 pounds in weight or pressure.
Will regularly visit businesses with various environments in the course of meeting with customers directly at their business locations. Overall, the working environment is very clean and aesthetically appealing.
Position will require above average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening, developing, and closing sales techniques to expand customer base.
Position requires BS/BA Degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill requirements of the position.
5-years of commercial banking experience required.
Reports to Market President for fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, authority, and for their proper interpretation.
Actively participate in community affairs and civic organizations to promote not only the Bank but the incumbent as well.