Merchants Bank established in 1875 is a growing, employee owned company, dedicated to a philosophy of community banking with total company wide assets of over $2.5 billion. Due to continued growth, we are searching for a Commercial Banker to grow our commercial lending area in the Winona, Minnesota area market.
The Commercial Banker is responsible for the development, origination, processing and service of all personal, professional, agricultural, and commercial customers in the Winona area – both borrowing and non-borrowing. Responsibility includes developing and maintaining a profitable loan portfolio at a minimum and prudent risk level in conformance with guidelines set forth in the Bank’s loan policy guidelines and ensuring customer satisfaction by practicing excellent customer service techniques and standards. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong community involvement.
This position requires a college degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill the requirements of the position. Five years of commercial banking experience is required.
This position requires residency within the community it serves – specifically, residency within the Winona, MN community or within minimal distance outside Winona proper.
Competitive salary and benefit package provided, including an ESOP. Apply online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, mail resume and cover letter to Merchants Bank, Attn: Beth Ede, CHRO, 102 East 3rd St., Winona, MN 55987, or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Deadline for external application is May 12, 2021.
Develop, originate, process and service all personal, professional, agricultural, commercial customers of Merchants Bank-Winona, both borrowing and non-borrowing. Primary objectives are to develop and maintain a profitable loan portfolio at minimum and prudent risk level in conformance with guidelines set forth in the Bank's loan policy manual. Ensure continuing customer satisfaction by practicing good customer service techniques.
- Interview loan applicants, collect and analyze financial and related data to determine the general credit-worthiness of the prospective loan request. Screen credit applications and make credit decisions. Assist, as necessary, in the credit approval process.
- Establish and negotiate the terms under which credit will be extended.
- Advise customers, where possible, on business management and financial matters.
- Actively solicit through direct calls, new business prospects. Also, cross sell bank services.
- Develop and present material for loan request to the Officer Loan Committee and other credit committees.
- Participate in community affairs to increase the Bank's visibility and to enhance new business opportunities.
- Call directly on existing customers to solidify an on-going relationship.
- Meet with new and existing borrowers to review credit/deposit/investment needs and develop referral sources.
- Supervise preparation of loan underwriting, review and loan closing documents. Follow up on loan documentation and overall financial and repayment performance.
- Monitor loan repayment activities and take the necessary action to collect past due accounts.
- Coach staff personnel in preparing loan documents, correspondence, and customer follow-up.
- Join with other lenders in managing credit lines and assisting in review and approval process.
- Share in achieving Departmental and Bank goals specifically as they relate to credit quality and profitability.
- Participate in Bank staff meetings
Overall and Ongoing Accountabilities:
- Originate and service commercial loans/deposits to contribute to the development of a sound and profitable commercial loan portfolio.
- Ensure minimal loss from outstanding commercial loans through effective utilization of the Bank's loan policy procedures.
- Ensure timely and accurate compilation and preparation of file comments and credit review for use by department head as well as Commercial Loan and Officer Loan Committee.
- Participate in Bank's customer calling program to promote and cross-sell Bank services to further develop current and new customer relationship.
- Actively participate in community affairs and civic organizations to promote not only the Bank but the incumbent as well as well.
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Positions are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally. Lifting will generally not require over 10 pounds in weight or pressure.
Will visit businesses with various environments in the course of the Officer Call Program. Overall, the working environment is very clean and aesthetically appealing.
Position will require above average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening, developing, and closing sales techniques to expand customer base.
Position requires BS/BA Degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill requirements of the position.
Reports to SVP/Manager of Commercial Banking/Senior Lending Officer, Winona for fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, authority, and for their proper interpretation. Actively participate in community affairs and civic organizations to promote not only the Bank but the incumbent as well.