Merchants Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Location: Winona, MN
Due to an upcoming retirement, we are searching for a Commercial Banking Manager/Senior Lending Officer to lead and grow our commercial lending area in the Winona, Minnesota area market. The Commercial Banking Manager/Senior Lending Officer is responsible for the planning, organizing, staffing, directing and control functions associated with overseeing the Commercial Banking Department at Merchants Bank, Winona, and assisting the Presidents in the markets as defined for the assigned Region.
Responsibilities include oversight of all aspects of loan administration, commercial loan growth and business development oversight; development and maintenance of a profitable loan portfolio with satisfactory and prudent risk level in conformance with the Bank’s loan policy guidelines; working with all areas of the Bank to manage and build customer relationships; insuring that all Commercial Bankers in assigned region adhere to customer service excellence expectations that give us a competitive advantage; being a member of the company-wide Senior Lender group and Senior Lender Loan Committee as directed by the Chief Credit Officer; work closely with Treasury Management specialists to insure excellent customer service to business clients and assistance to lenders; demonstrating strong community involvement; and insuring direct reports are actively engaged in community leadership.
This position requires a college degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill the requirements of the position. Ten years of leadership/management experience in a financial institution required. Must possess negotiating skills and excellent credit skill knowledge including underwriting, loan structure (loan agreement terms & covenants), pricing, collections and problem loan experience.
This position requires residency within the community it serves – specifically, residency within the Winona, MN community or within minimal distance outside Winona proper. Competitive salary and benefit package provided, including an ESOP.
Apply online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, mail resume and cover letter to Merchants Bank, Attn: Beth Ede, CHRO, 102 East 3rd St., Winona, MN 55987, or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This is a key leadership position with overall responsibilities for the planning, organizing, staffing, directing and control functions associated with overseeing the Commercial Banking Department at Merchants Bank, Winona, and assisting the Presidents in the markets as defined in the Bank’s regional structure.
Primary responsibility would be to oversee the loan portfolio for the assigned Region. This responsibility includes oversight of all aspects of loan administration, commercial loan growth and business development oversight. Objectives include the development and maintenance of a profitable loan portfolio with a satisfactory and prudent risk level in conformance with guidelines set forth in the Bank’s loan policy. Other major objectives include working with all areas of the Bank to manage and build customer relationships.
This role will be responsible for insuring that all Commercial Bankers at Merchants Bank in the assigned Region adhere to the expectations of customer service excellence that gives us a competitive advantage. Responsibilities include being a member of the company- wide Senior Lender’s group and Senior Lender’s Loan Committee as directed by the Chief Credit Officer of the Company. This position also is responsible for working closely with the Company’s Treasury Management specialists to insure they are providing excellent customer service to our business clients and assistance to our lenders.
Finally, this individual is expected to be involved in the community and to insure that his/her direct reports are actively engaged in demonstrating community leadership, as well.
- Serve in a leadership role in addition to managing a commercial loan portfolio.
- Effectively manage the Commercial Loan team of associates assigned to the respective Region at a level of profitability and credit risk satisfactory to the Bank.
- Ensure that all commercial loan activities for the markets defined as part of the Region adhere and conform to established and approved loan policy by the Board of Directors.
- Recruit, maintain, and provide training development opportunities, performance appraisals, and salary recommendations for commercial bankers for Region, subject to review and approval of the Regional President - South. The Market Presidents for St. Charles, and Eau Claire will be primarily accountable for these responsibilities in their respective Banks with input from this position.
- Work with the Senior Management team to develop, establish, and implement a department strategic plan to meet the Bank's long term and short term objectives.
- Establish annual department goals and strategies to assist in achieving those goals through a team effort.
- Ensure the Department maintains adequate personnel coverage at all times to afford the best possible customer service.
- Chair the local Officer Loan Committee, as defined as part of the Regional structure.
- Serve as a resource for all aspects of commercial lending.
- Support and review Commercial Bankers’ daily duties in underwriting and monitoring credit, existing and proposed credit requests, and prepared documentation required for the processing of loans.
- Review status of existing loans, take appropriate action on loans that are mature and past due and assist lenders in loan closing. Monitor the credit administration requirements of each loan under both the CBS and LQAS systems.
- Manage and assign a primary officer to accounts with respective Region customers to ensure best personality and expertise match-up. In addition, oversee that the workload within the Department in terms of portfolio size, delegating appropriately and within the lender's personal abilities. Market Presidents for St. Charles, and Eau Claire will be primarily accountable for these responsibilities in their respective Banks.
- Provide coaching experience in Service and Sales Plus to grow our people, grow our bank, and grow our income.
- Ensure that the commercial loan portfolio for assigned Region is risk-rated in accordance with loan procedure guidelines. Oversee the commercial loan portfolio mix with the objective to minimize high risk-rated credits and attain a balanced risk-rated portfolio.
- Ensure that profitable pricing on commercial loan services is maintained at all times. Ensure that pricing conforms to budget projections of the Department as set by Bank management, and in a manner that correlates with risk. Market Presidents for St. Charles, and Eau Claire will be primarily accountable for these responsibilities in their respective areas.
- Schedule Commercial Loan Department meetings on a regular basis to keep all Department employees informed and updated regarding policies, procedures, and upcoming situations that may affect them.
- Ensure that the Regional President - South and the Chief Credit Officer of MFGI, are kept informed on a regular basis of all significant developments in the Commercial banking activities the Region.
- Work closely with Department heads of the Consumer Loan Department on any mutual credits which may be multi-department borrowers.
- Assist Commercial Bankers by way of counseling or advice on handling business development calls, expansion of current business, potential problem loan credits, and workouts to optimize the best results for the Region in a manner that projects a positive overall image of the Bank.
- Maintain close supervision of commercial loan portfolio delinquencies. Observe problems as they occur and assist the Officer of that account in managing any potential problems to ensure minimal future risk to the Region.
- Is a member of the Region Senior Leadership Team
- Serve as the critical liaison between all lenders in the Region and several key shared service support areas within the centralized credit administration/operations function; such as, Credit Administration, Loan Servicing, Credit Analysis, and Internal Loan Review.
- Provide leadership in key community activities including business charitable, civic, and social organizations.
- Maintain the highest standard of ethical behavior consistent with the leadership responsibility associated with the position, set a personal example behavior to be emulated by all lenders in the region.
- Provide supervision and leadership to the specialty areas assigned to this position for the SBA and Fleet lender as well as the Treasury Management Team.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs. Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner. Overall
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions, and completion of compliance disks as required for job description
- Expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner to ensure their receipt of outstanding service.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner.
Position will require above-average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening, developing, and closing sales techniques to expand customer base.
Position requires BS/BA Degree and/or banking experience equivalent to fulfill requirements of the position. Ten years of leadership/management experience in a financial institution required. Must possess excellent credit skill knowledge including underwriting, loan structure (loan agreement terms & covenants), pricing, collections and problem loan experience. Negotiating skills necessary.
Physical Working Conditions
Inside working environment, comfortable working temperature. Low noise environment. No environmental chemical hazards in the Bank. May occasionally visit businesses with various environments in the course of the Officer Call Program. Overall, the working environment is very clean and ascetically appealing.
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Position will require average finger dexterity to operate normal office equipment, such as computer, calculator, CRT, etc. The ability to express ideas in a clear, thorough, and concise manner. Requires ability to articulate clearly.
Responsible to the Regional President - South for the fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, and for proper interpretation of role. We have extensive contact with internal staff as well as external candidates. Must conduct self in a manner that will enhance the overall Merchants image.