Do you want to be part of a professional, employee owned organization that has great benefits? Merchants Bank, Northfield, is seeking a Customer Service Representative. In this position you will be responsible for building relationships and creating the “Merchants experience” for our customers. Job duties include assessing customer needs, providing excellent customer service while opening new checking, savings, CD, IRA and HSA accounts, and maintaining account information. Must be comfortable with extensive customer contact and have sales experience.
Please apply in person at Merchants Bank, Northfield, online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, or e-mail NLMessenger@merchantsbank.com with a cover letter and resume or to request an application.
Proactively provides assistance to customers in determining products and services which best meet their needs. Is fully knowledgeable of all bank deposit products and services. Assist customers in retail product selections by profiling, presenting features and benefits, and asking for the sale. Represents the Bank in a manner that maintains and expands business relationships, enhances the Bank’s image and contributes to growth.
Essential Job Functions:
- Must be able to assess the needs of the customer and determine how to best meet the customers’ needs when opening new checking, savings, CDs, and IRA accounts, as well as account services.
- Refer customers to other retail divisions, i.e. loan, mortgage, investment, etc.
- Perform all new account functions.
- Complete all necessary forms to ensure accurate opening and closing of accounts. Comply with all CSR policies and procedures.
- Respond to all customers inquires and forwards any appropriate requests to other departments.
- Complete necessary documentation for any account maintenance changes and ensures that the change is completed. Follow maintenance and closed account procedures for all types of deposit accounts.
- Complete the entire IRA process including sales and on-going maintenance.
- Accept and process check orders for all checking accounts.
- Disseminate information regarding legal issues, to protect customers and retailers against fraud.
- Accurately submit all customer forms on Mernet such as address changes, debit cards, privacy codes, etc.
- Cross-Sell additional Merchants Bank products and services.
- Responsible to update central file information when working with account portfolios & compliance regulated forms.
- Call customers regarding promotions and CD renewals. Make follow up and courtesy calls.
- Open/Close/Maintain Safe Deposit Boxes.
- Cash Savings Bonds.
- Active and willing participant in all marketing and promotional activities.
- Willing to work trade shows and promotional events on evenings and weekends.
- Decision solution penetration of 20% or better.
- Work to meet established goal regarding credit card balance transfers.
- Make outside calls with a business development specialist or key person per quarter and participate in one partnership banking visits with an approved business customer per year (in applicable markets).
- Be involved in community activities to actively promote the bank.
- Review the daily overdraft report to proactively catch your customers before they default
- Be proficient and able to assist customers on the systems including internet banking products, bill pay, e statements, mobile banking, telephone banking and anything else the customer may need assistance with.
- Collecting Privacy Codes/Security word – Email addresses, cell numbers.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will be expected to take responsibility to insure that internal and external customers receive outstanding service.
- Employees will be expected to complete compliance assignments as needed.
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Performs any and all other duties, as assigned, to increase performance of Merchants. Accepts request to cross-train for additional duties.
Physical Working Conditions:
Inside working environment, low noise level. No environmental hazards or chemicals. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear; occasionally required to stand and walk; must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Mental Demands/Skill Requirements:
- Requires above-average clerical aptitude.
- Good finger dexterity and manual dexterity.
- Above-average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and clerical perception.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least one-year retail sales and banking experience preferred.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to follow established guidelines and procedures.
- Proven sales ability with the ability to identify customer needs and cross-sell products and services effectively.
- Good customer service skills, high degree of tact, professionalism and courteous image.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as organizational and motivational skills.
Specific skills demonstrating work habits include:
- Maintains a neat and organized work area by conducting daily clean sweeps
- Projects a well groomed and professional appearance in conjunction with “all dressed up”
- Adheres to bank policy on absenteeism and the establish work hours
- Does not accept personal phone calls or allow other distractions which can be handled after customers leave the office
- Avoids excessive non business related emails (internal and external)
- Avoids excessive personal cell phone and internet usage and texting
- Cooperates with other staff members and responds to supervisory guidance and direction, asked good questions, listens and does the appropriate detective work to either help themselves or our customers. Provides the process, expectations and an explanation of the “next steps”
Specific skills demonstrating dependability include:
- Performs duties accurately within the established guidelines
- Organizes time to complete duties without sacrificing service to customers
- Stays focused under pressure
- Completes assignments independently and in a timely manner
- Arrives to work as scheduled
- Accepts accountability
- Adapts well to change
- Flexible to changing needs, such as staffing needs for the Branch
- Is confidential (Internal and External)
- Is a team player
Will have extensive customer and co-worker contact; must conduct self in a manner that will create a positive impression for the Bank. Responsible to Market President for fulfillment of functions, responsibilities, and authority and for their proper interpretation.