We have an opening for a Lending Assistant at the Northfield branch of Merchants Bank.
This position involves assisting lenders with a variety of duties throughout the loan process including completing, tracking, and updating loan information. Must be well organized, motivated, and have the ability to initiate and follow through on projects. Excellent customer service, teamwork, and computer skills required. Banking & experience with loan documentation preferred.
Work is performed under general supervision according to established policies and procedures; emphasis of this position is to assist the Loan Department with various job duties. A variety of secretarial and clerical duties are related to this job.
This position requires a well-organized, self-motivated individual with the ability to multi-task, problem solve and initiate projects and follow through as needed.
- Open, sort, review and distribute Department mail.
- Start loan process for requests and annual reviews in moneybags/LendingCloud system as requested by lenders or seen on lender reports.
- Assist Loan Officers by obtaining required information necessary for loans; i.e., UCC search/copies, order appraisals, pull customer relationship exception report, title searches, flood search, environmental assessment search, legal description, recording fees of appropriate county/state, corporate documents, insurance, yearly taxes, loan payoffs, correct VIN numbers, and/or any other request from the Officer.
- Request Commercial Loan documents for closings as instructed by lenders and complete the pre-closing checklist prior to loan closing. Quality Control check back on loans to assure loan documents match credit authority and approval.
- Confirm all necessary loan documentation has been requested and received and all appropriate closing fees have been included on the billing statement/HUD when applicable. Generate billing statement as needed.
- Assist Loan Officers at time of closing by typing cashier’s checks and/or wire transfer of funds, notarize documents and send for timely recording/filing; i.e., satisfactions, mortgages, deeds, and assignments of rents. Follow-up on outstanding documentation need after closing (insurance, title work, etc.)
- Close loan with customer if requested by Lender.
- Prepare funding spreadsheet to book loan on CBS system, with post-closing checklist and send to appropriate groups.
- Complete Beneficial Ownership Form prior to closing.
- If HMDA or CRA reportable, confirm information written by lender on Worksheet.
- Complete Insurance checklist and send to appropriate department.
- Audit and maintain collateral vault when list is received from import group and work with audit/compliance group when needed to get items corrected.
- Type and process construction advances.
- Complete customer loan advance/loan payment, late fee waivers and payment reversal requests via Intranet form.
- Send and assist in the processing on non-accrual documents and funds collected to the appropriate departments.
- Assist with work on Floorplan advances & payoffs as needed.
- Track FSA Advances and payments for borrowers as required by FSA.
- Generate barcode labels for completed loan documents and other documents as needed.
- Scan incoming financials, drop in appropriate folder to be put in LQAS and complete salutation setup in LQAS.
- Commercial paid loans process: send paid thank you letter with lien card/satisfaction if applicable on a weekly basis.
- Process Central States Insurance at the beginning of the month and send to CSO by the 10th of the month.
- Assist Lenders with collection of financial information and other reporting required from customers.
- Prepare correspondence as requested by Loan Officers for document signature, substitution of collateral, security agreement VIN number corrections, etc.
- Supply customers with loan history reports, year-end reports or any other loan documentation requests.
- Schedule Department meetings.
- Prepare and distribute any Loan Department reports (delinquent notes report, notes maturing, pipeline and fees collected for commercial loans) where applicable.
- Assist lenders with work on exception reports.
- Attend customer visits with lenders when requested.
- Provide outstanding customer service by answering telephones, assisting walk-in customers, and by providing on-going lender support to satisfy the customer needs.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will maintain good working relationships with outside vendors (title companies, realtors, county recorder’s offices, etc.).
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions and completion of compliance training as required for job description.
Inside working environment, very low noise level, work performed primarily sitting at a desk. Requires finger dexterity to operate office equipment.
Mental Demands / Skill Requirements:
Must have above-average written and verbal communication skills and be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience working with loan documents is preferred. Strong ability with multi-tasking, attention to detail, and ability to work independently required. Must be excellent team worker.
Reports to the Manager of Commercial Banking / Senior Loan Officer, for fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, authority, and for proper interpretation. Will have contact with customers, public, and staff, and is to conduct self in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the Bank.