Merchants Bank, Lakeville, has an opening for a Lending Assistant Team Lead. This position involves supervising and training Commercial and Consumer Lending Assistants. Also involves assisting lenders with a variety of duties throughout the loan process including completing, tracking, and updating loan information.
Leadership experience and knowledge and experience of commercial and consumer lending preferred. Must be well organized, motivated, and have the ability to initiate and follow through on projects. Excellent customer service, teamwork, and computer skills required.
Please apply in person at Merchants Bank, Lakeville, 18550 Joplin Ave, online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, or e-mail NLMessenger@merchantsbank.com with a cover letter and resume or to request an application.
This is a highly responsible position which will assist all customers, external and internal, with sales, service, processing and various operational duties. This individual directs, oversees and trains the lending assistants within their respective regions with support and guidance from the Senior Lender. This position will have customer contact on a daily basis. The individual serving this role is responsible for supporting the Senior Lender, Lenders and Lending Assistants within the region. They will need to have knowledge of banking products and services.
- Create a cohesive work environment by building relationships between and directly with Lenders and Lending Assistants.
- Provide on a continuing basis, appropriate orientation/training and mentoring for the lending assistants under supervision.
- Responsible to lead, coach and develop the lending assistants by developing efficient working processes, and provide career coaching.
- Train Lending Assistants on preparing loan documents, correspondence and customer follow-up.
- Delegate assorted duties and assign reports to be pulled and distributed by Lending Assistants within the region as needed.
- Obtain applications and resumes from HR and review prior to interviews and partner with HR and senior lender to select the best qualified candidates for Loan Assistant positions.
- Complete and review the performance appraisal and go over the areas of focus assigned to the role so that the employee is clear on expectations, goals and objectives in order to succeed. Always provide feedback on a regular basis.
- Recommend salary increases after consultation with Senior Lender and HR using the appropriate salary matrix.
- Approve time records in a timely manner. Be cognizant of time off and overtime usage.
- Address performance issues with guidance from HR and support from Senior Lender.
- Schedule, prepare and administer lending assistant meetings, Team Lead Meetings, Cross Functional Department Meetings and follow up on research items as needed.
- Schedule, organize and conduct Lending Assistant Consistency Meetings. Complete follow up after meeting on any questions and concerns. Schedule additional meetings and training needed after research completed.
- Train Lenders, lending assistants and external customers on Compass and accessCompass.
- Work with Finance in balancing Compass GL.
- Complete monthly Compass Report for IT and finance department on the first of every month on a timely fashion.
- Maintain Compass manual for bank.
- Main contact for Loan Servicing, Finance and IT for Compass in regards to questions and issues.
Lending Assistant Responsibilities:
- Start loan process for requests and annual reviews in Lending Cloud/Moneybags system as requested by lenders, customers or seen on lender reports.
- Request Commercial Loan documents for closings as instructed by lenders or as approvals are presented and complete checklist prior to loan closing.
- Assist Loan Officers by obtaining required information necessary for loans; i.e., UCC search/copies, order appraisals, pull relationship exception report, title/flood/environmental assessment search, recording fees, customer documents, insurance and loan payoffs, etc.
- Work hand in hand with lender and SBA vendors for SBA loan approvals and documentation.
- Confirm all necessary loan documentation has been requested and received and all appropriate closing fees have been included on the billing statement/HUD when applicable. Generate billing statement as needed.
- Quality Control check back on loans to assure loan documents match credit authority and approval.
- Assist Loan Officers at time of closing by typing cashier’s checks and/or wire transfer of funds, notarize documents and send for timely recording/filing; i.e., satisfactions, mortgages, deeds, and assignments of rents.
- Complete CIP, Beneficial Ownership Form, OFAC, credit reports, risk rating changes and submit non accrual loans.
- Attend customer visits and closings with lenders when requested.
- Close loan with customer if requested by Lender.
- Prepare funding spreadsheet and checklist to send for booking and send to appropriate groups.
- If HMDA or CRA reportable, complete and prepare for lender to review in Lending Cloud.
- Follow-up on outstanding documentation need after closing (insurance, title work, etc.)
- Complete Insurance checklist, scan and send for approval.
- Review, approve insurance and drop in appropriate department folder for processing.
- Type and process construction advances, contact title companies/third party to complete inspections and advances.
- Complete customer loan advance/loan payment, late fee waivers, credit card payments and payment reversal requests via Intranet form.
- Track FSA Advances and payments for borrowers as required by FSA.
- Assist with work on Floorplan advances & payoffs as needed.
- Supply customers with loan history reports, year-end reports or any other loan documentation requests.
- Assist Lenders with collection of financial information and other reporting required from customers while working on exception reports.
- Scan incoming financials; drop in appropriate folder to be put in LQAS.
- Generate document cover sheets for completed loan documents and other documents to be placed in LQAS
- Review salutations and contact import group for any updates when reviewing financial letters with lenders.
- Send and assist in the processing on non-accrual documents and funds collected to the appropriate departments.
- Pull and print Closed Loan Report, send paid thank you letter with lien card/satisfaction if applicable on a weekly basis.
- Process Central States Insurance at the beginning of the month and send to CSO by the 10th of the month.
- Prepare correspondence as requested by Loan Officers for document signature, substitution of collateral, security agreement VIN number corrections, etc.
- Work with Lenders and CSR on NSF and UCF charges and reports.
- Audit and maintain collateral vault when list is received from import group and work with audit/compliance group when needed to get items corrected.
- Provide outstanding customer service by answering telephones, assisting walk-in customers, and by providing on-going lender support to satisfy the customer needs.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Participate in community affairs to increase the Bank’s visibility and to enhance business opportunities.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will maintain good working relationships with outside vendors.
- Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions and completion of compliance training as required for job description.
Mental Demands/Competency/Educational Requirements:
Must have above-average written and verbal communication skills and be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel. This position requires a self-motivated individual that works independently with above average ability or aptitude in areas of reasoning, intelligence and detail. Requires a well-organized, excellent team player with the strong ability to multi-task, problem solve and initiate projects and follow through as needed.
Internal and External customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in this position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening and developing techniques to expand relationships.
Prefer Associates Degree or higher with experience in a leadership role. Higher education maybe excluded if the individual has extensive experience within Merchants Bank and with leadership experience. Extensive knowledge and experience of commercial and consumer lending and banking regulations, department operations, policies and procedures preferred.
Travel to other bank locations to assist lenders and other bank staff with various job duties. Inside working environment, very low noise level, work performed primarily sitting at a desk. Requires finger dexterity to operate office equipment.
Reports to the Senior Lending Officer/SVP, for fulfillment of duties, responsibilities, authority, and for proper interpretation. Will have contact with customers, public, and staff, at all bank locations and is to conduct self in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the Bank.