Merchants Bank established in 1875 is a growing, employee owned company, dedicated to a philosophy of community banking with total company wide assets of over $2 billion. Due to an upcoming retirement, we are searching for a Market President to lead and grow our locations in the La Crescent, Minnesota and Onalaska, WI markets.
The Market President is responsible for providing leadership, direction, guidance and control of the Affiliate activities to assure the short and long term profitability of the Bank; responsible to provide a satisfactory rate of return on shareholder investment value; providing equitable treatment and development of employees; maintaining bank-community citizenship; and for the implementation of all policies and decisions of Merchants Bank. This position will manage a loan portfolio made up of commercial customers.
This position requires a college degree and ten or more years of equivalent work experience in a Commercial bank environment, plus proven record of managerial experience. This position requires proven sales/business development experience. This position requires a thorough understanding of the banking system, credit evaluation, community banking needs, financial management skills, and extensive previous experience. The position requires a current and thorough review and update of regulatory laws and changes.
This position requires residency within a community it serves – specifically, residency within the La Crescent, MN or Onalaska, WI communities or within minimal distance outside of those locations.
Competitive salary and benefit package provided, including an ESOP. Apply online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, mail resume and cover letter to Merchants Bank, Attn: Beth Ede, CHRO, 102 East 3rd St., Winona, MN 55987, or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for external applicants is September 3, 2020.
The President is responsible for providing leadership, direction, guidance and control of Onalaska Affiliate activities to assure the short and long term profitability of the Bank; provides a satisfying rate of return on shareholder investment; provides for equitable treatment and development of employees; maintains bank-community citizenship; and the implementation of all policies and decisions of the Regional President – South and the La Crescent Board of Directors and Merchants Financial Group Board of Directors.
- Coordinates the efforts of the financial and internal operations through guidance and direction of the Operations Department
- Conducts a personal, top-level marketing, sales, and business development campaign in the Onalaska/La Crescent area to establish, maintain and solidify correspondent bank and corporate customer business and personal relationships.
- Represents the MFGI and Onalaska/La Crescent Banks via providing leadership in key community activities including business, charitable, civic and social organizations to maintain a proper, responsible citizen stature for the Bank. Maintains the highest standards of ethical behavior and personal example.
- Provides direct guidance of personnel activities which affect the Onalaska/La Crescent employees, including salary administration, and department performance objectives to ensure solid team efforts toward the attainment of department and Bank goals.
- Delegate’s authority and responsibility for the execution of the Bank’s departments and functions.
- Advises on the planning and direction of the Onalaska/La Crescent Branches marketing and advertising activities.
- Provides opportunities for education or other means of professional growth and advancement for personnel at all levels to meet the future needs of the Onalaska/La Crescent Banks.
- Develops, models and builds a sales and service culture focused on customer needs and the enhancement/growth of customer relationships.
- Ensures effective, ongoing strategic thinking, planning and implementation.
- Evaluate performance of employees to ensure that they are complementary to the maintenance of employee morale, efficiency and development.
- Coordinates the efforts of lending activities.
- Special assignments as directed by the Regional President – South and the Board of Directors.
- Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will be expected to take responsibility to ensure that internal and external customers receive outstanding service.
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Inside working environment, comfortable working environment. Low noise environment. No environmental chemical hazards in Bank. Overall, the working environment is very clean and aesthetically appealing.
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Positions are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally. Lifting will generally not require over 10 pounds in weight or pressure.
Position will require average finger dexterity to operate normal office equipment, such as computer, calculator, etc. Requires ability to express ideas in a clear, thorough, and concise manner. Requires ability to articulate clearly.
Position will require above average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Establish and maintain strong base of trust and confidentiality among staff members, board members, and customers.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening, developing, and closing sales techniques to expand customer base.
This position requires the satisfactory completion of courses in banking, finance, and management, as well as 9-10 years of banking experience. The position requires a thorough understanding of the banking system, credit evaluation, community banking needs, and financial management skills. The position requires a current and thorough review and update of regulatory laws and changes.
This job description may be modified based on the company needs at any time, may require employee to perform functions beyond those mentioned in this job description, and reminds employee that he/she is an at-will employee.