Merchants Bank established in 1875 is a growing, employee-owned company, dedicated to a philosophy of community banking with total company wide assets of over $2.5 billion. Due to continued growth, we are searching for a Market President to lead and grow our locations in the Northfield, MN market.
The Market President is responsible to provide leadership and direction of all Northfield market banking and community engagement activities. The Market President will be held accountable for management of market activities in a manner that ensures both short-term and long-term profitability of the Bank (Northfield locations), and in alignment with the Company’s return on investment expectations to Shareholders. The Market President is expected to create work environment that results in equitable treatment, a welcoming environment for all stakeholders and nurtures the growth & career development of employees. Community engagement is expected to be fostered as a result of the Market President’s example and direct personal community involvement in representing the Bank’s civic leadership obligations.
The Market President is responsible for the delivery of exceptional customer experiences; embracing a commitment of “One Merchants”; and delivery of revenue and earnings optimization for long term relevance.
This position requires a minimum of 9 years of banking/lending experience. In addition, 3-5 years of demonstrated leadership experience and/or direct supervisory responsibility is preferred. The position requires a thorough understanding of the banking system, credit evaluation, community banking needs, financial management skills, and time in the ranks. The position requires a current and thorough review and update of regulatory laws and changes.
This position requires residency within the community it serves – specifically, residency within Northfield, MN or within minimal distance outside Northfield proper.
Competitive salary and benefit package provided, including an ESOP. Apply online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, mail resume and cover letter to Merchants Bank, Attn: Beth Ede, CHRO, 102 East 3rd St., Winona, MN 55987, or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for external applicants is March 5, 2021.
The Market President is responsible to provide leadership and direction of all Northfield market (Downtown & South location) banking and community-engagement activities. The President will be held accountable for management of market activities in a manner that ensures both short-term and long-term profitability of the Bank, and in alignment with the Company’s return on investment expectations to Shareholders. The Market President is expected to create a work environment that results in equitable treatment, a welcoming environment for all stakeholders and nurtures the growth & career development of employees. Community engagement for the entire Market employee team is expected to be fostered as a result of the Market President’s example and direct personal community involvement in representing the Bank’s civic leadership obligations. The Market President will support implementation of all policies and decisions of the Central Region President, the President & CEO of Merchants Bank and/or the Board of Directors for Merchants Bank, N.A., and Merchants Financial Group, Inc.
Focused Leadership Responsibilities:
- Represents Merchants Bank within the Region/Market in a manner aligned with our aspiration to be the financial institution of choice and recognized as a top business leader in the community – includes residency and high impact civic engagement in the community as well as encouraging and supporting civic engagement of employees
- Exemplifies exceptional customer experience standards by modeling the way in the market
- Focuses on staff development, coaching and team building and serves as a mentor to inspire others and ensure strong succession plan options
- Contributes to expectations in areas of transparency and communication to ensure internal stakeholders on the team have a strong connection to the strategic direction of the Company
- Embraces and embodies the “One Merchants” culture of responsibility – setting the tone, living our core values and holding others accountable through a collaborative process of ongoing and consistent improvement efforts
- Responsible for business and earnings growth (Deposits, Treasury Management, Loans, Residential Mortgage Production & Fee Income, Wealth Management, etc.) to contribute to net income goals for the Company at levels exceeding 1% ROA
- Responsible for maintaining and growing a Commercial Loan Portfolio while focused on interest margin and credit quality discipline
- Responsible for growing deposit side of the balance sheet in alignment with funding needs to support market asset growth expectations while maintaining interest margin
- Responsible for efficiency measures in alignment with company-wide efficiency target of 60% or better
- Embraces the credit culture expectations of the Company to ensure that credit quality in the market portfolio is positioned to support profitability expectations
Specific Primary Duties:
- Provide leadership representation for the Northfield branches as directed by the Central Region President, the President & CEO of Merchants Bank and the Board of Directors of Merchants Bank and Merchants Financial Group
- Coordinate efforts for financial management and internal operations through guidance and direction of the Bank’s Finance & Operations teams
- Responsible for annual sales and business development plans in the Northfield market area to establish, maintain and solidify customer retention and growth of business and personal banking relationships
- Represent the Merchants Brand by providing leadership in key community activities including business, charitable, civic and social organizations to maintain a proper, responsible citizen stature for the Bank – maintaining the highest standards of ethical behavior and personal example
- Provide direct guidance of personnel activities which affect the Northfield employees, including salary administration and department performance objectives to ensure solid team efforts toward the attainment of both Market and Company goals
- Advise on the planning and direction of the marketing and advertising activities necessary to support the goals and objectives of the Northfield market
- Provide opportunities for education or other means of professional growth and advancement for personnel at all levels to meet the future needs of the Northfield locations and Merchants Bank as a whole
- Develop, model and build a sales and service culture focused on customer hopes & dreams, and at a level consistent with the exceptional aspirational standard of the Company
- Provide input as a member of the (TBD) Regional Leadership Team to ensure effective, ongoing strategic thinking, planning and implementation of initiatives that support the Company’s goals and objectives
- Evaluate performance of employees to ensure that they are complementary to the maintenance of employee morale/efficiency/development, and consistent with job grade level and salary administration disciplines defined for the Company.
- Develop and maintain a profitable loan portfolio with prudent risk level oversight; expected to adhere to Bank loan policy and coordinate the efforts of lending activities for the market
- Accept and complete special assignments as directed by the (TBD) Regional President, the President & CEO of Merchants Bank and/or and the Board of Directors and other duties as assigned
- Engage regularly with members of the Local Advisory Board for the market to ensure a return on investment in the form of ambassadorship for the Bank, business referrals and community engagement representation
- Adhere to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions
- Complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner
- Contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions and modeling the way
- Lead employees to acceptable performance ensuring they are complementary to the desired employee engagement, efficiency, development and organizational culture
- Ensure that internal and external customers receive an exceptional experience
- Complete location budget, adhere to approved budget and report as required
- Oversite of location maintenance, safety, security and repair issues
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of the job
Inside working environment, comfortable working environment. Outside visits may occur on occasion and many include customer locations. Low noise environment. No environmental chemical hazards in Bank. Overall, the working environment is very clean and aesthetically appealing.
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Positions are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally. Lifting will generally not require over 10 pounds in weight or pressure.
Position will require average finger dexterity to operate normal office equipment, such as computer, calculator, etc. Requires ability to express ideas in a clear, thorough, and concise manner. Requires ability to articulate clearly.
Position will require above average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Establish and maintain strong base of trust and confidentiality among staff members, board members, and customers.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease, ability to effectively apply opening, developing, and closing sales techniques to expand customer base.
This position requires the satisfactory completion of courses in banking, finance, and management, and a minimum of 9-10 years of banking/lending experience. In addition, 3-5 years of demonstrated leadership experience and/or direct supervisory responsibility is preferred. The position requires a thorough understanding of the banking system, credit evaluation, community banking needs, financial management skills, and time in the ranks. The position requires a current and thorough review and update of regulatory laws and changes.
This job description may be modified based on the company needs at any time, may require employee to perform functions beyond those mentioned in this job description, and reminds employee that he/she is an at-will employee.