Merchants Bank, Winona, has an opening for a Mortgage Purchasing Specialist. This position involves reviewing closed mortgage loan files, processing purchase funds, following up on documents to clear suspense items, and providing customer service through the Purchasing Help Desk. Requires strong attention to detail, problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills. Must have excellent communication and service skills and be able to remain calm under pressure and deadlines.
Please apply in person at Merchants Bank, Winona, 102 E 3rd Street, online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, or e-mail NLMessenger@merchantsbank.com with a cover letter and resume or to request an application.
The Mortgage Purchasing Specialist will report directly to the AVP Secondary Market and is primarily responsible for reviewing closed loan mortgage files. This position will ensure loans meet investor requirements, process purchase funds, and follow up for the necessary documentation to clear suspense items.
The successful candidate will have strong problem-solving skills as well as the ability to self-manage their time and work priorities. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the ability to quickly learn new systems is a must. This person must also have excellent communication skills to build strong partnerships and work collaboratively with other departments.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process mortgage loans for purchase by Merchants Bank from origination channels.
- Provide customer service to all origination channels for assistance with purchasing questions through the Purchasing Help Desk.
- Review closed mortgage files for compliance with investor, underwriting conditions and proper execution of documents.
- Prepare and balances loan purchase advice, ACH of funds, and general ledger postings for loans cleared to purchase when necessary.
- Activate Private Mortgage Insurance Certificates.
- Order flood certificates.
- Review loans in the appropriate order and timeline as directed.
- Review and follow-up on outstanding trailing documents for all origination channels (recorded mortgage, assignment, final title policy, etc).
- Follow-up on suspended loan files.
- Prepares welcome letters for correspondent purchased loans.
- Transfers loan documents from the loan origination system to permanent storage (LQAS).
- Provide customer service to all origination channels for assistance with trailing documents questions through the Trailing Documents Help Desk.
- Improve the purchasing process by offering constructive suggestions and input and attending meetings as a purchasing group.
- Resolve any questions/issues arising from the review of files or other duties of the position with the AVP Secondary Market or the Secondary Market Support Specialist.
- Performs any other duties as requested by management to assist others in the Department as necessary.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Experience with Ellie Mae Encompass preferred.
- Mortgage experience preferred.
- Strong Mathematical/ Analytical Skills, Deductive Reasoning and Attention to Detail required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, internal and external customers, and the public.
- Work with mathematical concepts.
- Must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Independent, self-directive, team player with a positive attitude.
- Exceptional organization and time management skills.
Mastery: 10-Key, Alphanumeric Data Entry
Intermediate: Accounting, Spreadsheet, Work Processing/Typing
Basic: Contact Management, Database, Presentation/PowerPoint
Highly repetitive, low physical, low noise, controlled temperature, minimum distractions. Must be able to lift ten pounds. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. VISION: See in the normal visual range with or without correction. HEARING: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.