Merchants Bank, Northfield, has an opening for a Personal Banker. Primary duties include providing “excellent” customer service when serving customers’ consumer loan and deposit needs, and promoting other banking products. Excellent customer service and communication skills required. Must be able to build strong customer relations and exercise independent judgment. New accounts and consumer lending experience preferred.
Please apply in person at Merchants Bank, Northfield, online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, or e-mail NLMessenger@merchantsbank.com with a cover letter and resume or to request an application.
The individual in this position will be expected to demonstrate high quality customer service when completing product and service requests promoting a high degree of customer satisfaction, as well as initiating appropriate cross-sales or referrals. This contributes to the profitability of the Bank. Individual requires initiative and judgment necessary to determine and interpret the needs of customers.
This individual will assist customers with a wide range of banking products. The products will primarily focus on personal banking needs; opening new accounts, account services, originate, underwrite and close consumer loans, sell credit life and health insurance and promote other banking products, such as Trust and Investment Services. Will plan and carry out outreach programs to acquire new customers. Position has direct lending authority in consumer loans. Position requires individual to have good computer skills. It requires an excellent background in knowing the features and benefits of our banking products and general knowledge of all Bank services. He/she will be expected to develop and grow our customer relationships through cross-selling and/or referrals that contribute to the profitability of the Bank.
Primary Job Functions:
- Assess the needs of the customer and determine how to best meet the customers’ needs when providing bank products and services. Cross sell other banking products and takes appropriate action in directly opening new accounts/originating loans.
- Obtain necessary information to determine creditworthiness in making sound credit financial decisions.
- Complete follow-through procedures on new accounts and loan transactions.
- Perform ongoing account maintenance for customers; responds to customer inquiries and reconciling accounts.
- Make weekly customer calls. (i.e., Onboarding/CD Renewal, etc.)
- Ensure that customers are given extraordinary customer care and attention per our service plus, welcome home and voice of the customer programs.
- Initiates the preparation of the appropriate loan documentation ensuring all terms and conditions are accurate and as agreed.
- Identifies and initiates cross-selling opportunities of other banking products and takes appropriate action in directing customers to other banking departments for further service and establishment of accounts.
- Responsible for individual loan, deposits, fee income and referral goals, and expected to participate in over-all department, bank goals.
- Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to the success of this position.
- Perform the maintenance and closed account procedures for all types of deposit accounts.
- Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of this job.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions at the branch and throughout the company.
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner at the branch and throughout the company.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments within the first 90 days of employment and assigned thereafter.
- As a community bank, participation in community events before, during or after work hours is expected.
Helpdesk Specific Duties:
- Provides backup coverage for the helpdesk in coordination with the other IT staff to ensure coverage during lunch, vacations, etc…
- Provide occasional Saturday morning coverage.
- Answer, evaluate, and prioritize incoming telephone, voice mail, e-mail, and in-person requests for assistance from Information Technology customers experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies
- Assist in implementing vulnerability remediation tasks as needed.
- Handle problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine user problems, escalating more complex problems to other technical staff or management
- Log and track all support requests using the bank’s helpdesk ticketing system.
Physical Working Conditions & Demands:
Inside working environment, low noise level, no environmental hazards or chemicals. Very pleasant surrounding. Primarily requires sitting at desk, high degree of finger dexterity. Will generally not require any lifting of more than ten pounds. Terminal/PC work requires good eyesight/ability to focus quickly.
Mental Demands/Skill Requirements:
Requires individual to have high degree of sales skill, ability to effectively apply selling techniques in serving customers. Must have excellent people relation skills. Requires good computer skills. High degree of figure aptitude. Should have the capability to prioritize tasks and work with a variety of personalities on a daily basis. Prefer individual with associate degree or equivalent experience. One to two years of banking experience helpful. Sales experience.
Responsible to the Market President for fulfillment of position functions. Must conduct self in a manner that ensures a harmonious office climate and enhances the overall team effectiveness. May be called upon to participate in outside community projects. Will have extensive contact with customers, public, and staff; must conduct self in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the Bank.