Merchants Bank has an opening for a Project Manager. This position can work out of any Merchants Bank location.
This position oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of specific short-term projects and responsible for select ongoing projects after implementation. Works closely with and coordinates the required personnel across IT, functional bank areas, front line staff, and, when appropriate, the executive sponsor of the project as well as maintaining a reporting schedule. The position actively manages the timeline on each project and works to remove roadblocks.
Requirements for the position include a college degree and 2-5 years of banking experience and knowledge and experience with project management.
The Project Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of specific short-term projects which have a beginning, an end, and specified deliverables and may or may not have gated interim decision points. The project manager may be responsible for select ongoing projects after implementation as needed. The project manager works closely with and coordinates the required personnel across IT, functional bank areas, front line staff, and, when appropriate, the executive sponsor of the project as well as maintaining a reporting schedule to the VP of Project Management, CIO, senior management, and the IT Steering Committee. The position actively manages the timeline on each project and works to remove roadblocks either directly or through appropriate managers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Manager performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with the project owner or sponsor and representative IT personnel.
- Create or facilitate a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Contribute to the evaluation of resources (time, money, equipment, etc.) required to complete the project.
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities and receive stakeholder buy-in.
- Review the project schedule with appropriate owners, leaders, and managers and other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion. IE, help the sponsors/owners define success.
- In consultation with the appropriate manager, recruit, interview and select staff with appropriate skills for the project activities.
- Coordinate project staff.
- Ensure all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the project and their role.
- Identify and help screen qualified consultants to work on the project as appropriate.
- Execute the project according to the project plan.
- Develop forms and records to document project activities.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders.
- Monitor the progress of the project and report on regular intervals to management.
- Suggest and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- If necessary, suggest alternative plan completion for the project. Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements.
- Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams.
- Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
The Project manager must also:
- Work independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project owners.
- Write reports on the project for management, project sponsors, and funders.
- Monitor budgeted project expenditures.
- Ensure project deliverables are on time, within budget, and at the required level of quality.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive working environment through words and actions.
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Employee will be expected to take responsibility to insure that internal and external customers receive outstanding service.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance assignments as needed.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities, as requested.
Additional Job Information:
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, business analysis scenarios, and task and workflow analysis.
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Deliver the following artifacts as needed: (Functional requirements (Business Requirements Document), iii. Use Cases, GUI, Screen and Interface designs)
- Develop requirements specifications according to standard templates, using natural language.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between usability and performance needs.
- College degree and with 2-5 years of banking experience
- Knowledge of project management with prior experience in program and project management
- Certification in project management by the PMI or other certifying organization.
- Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Visio and Outlook
- Project management software such as Microsoft Project or Manage Engine
- Simple accounting
- Data base management
- Internet and VPNs
- Understand ethical behavior and business practices to ensure own behavior and that of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Strong analytical and product management skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Little or no discomfort caused by environmental factors.
- Some exposure to mental/visual fatigue resulting from research of complex systems issues.
- Some travel required.
- Hours may be unpredictable due to installations, configuration, research, and updates that must be performed outside of normal banking hours.
- Responsible to the VP/Project Management for fulfillment of functions, responsibilities, and authority, and for their proper interpretation.
- Will have extensive contact with Merchants Bank department managers, end-users, and third-party vendors.