Merchants Bank established in 1875 is a growing, employee-owned company, dedicated to a philosophy of community banking with total company wide assets of over $2.5 billion. As a result of an upcoming retirement of a key organizational leader, we are seeking a Regional President for our South Region.
The Regional President is responsible for all key performance indicators for each market within the Region and guidance of the Bank’s activities to assure short and long-term profitability. As an Executive Team member, the Regional President assists in developing overall strategic plan objectives and goals, company policies, and business goals for the markets in the Region to position the Bank for sustained business growth and meeting of profitability targets. The individual is expected to set a strong leadership example in representing the company’s value system and cultivate meaningful employee engagement that results in growth and development opportunities for teammates. The person will represent Merchants’ commitment to “localness” by holding Market Presidents and teams accountable for active community engagement and leadership.
For full position requirements and specifications, interested candidates should contact (in confidence) David Magy – (952) 404-5085 – firstname.lastname@example.org or Annette Villamil – (952( 404-5086 – email@example.com.
This is an Executive Leadership Team position with responsibility for the performance of Merchants Bank’s South Region. The Regional President is ultimately responsible for all key performance indicators for each market within the Region and guidance of the Bank’s activities to assure short- and long-term profitability.
As an Executive Team member, the Regional President assists in developing overall strategic plan objectives and goals, company policies, and business goals for the markets in the Region to position the Bank for sustained business growth and meeting of profitability targets. Is expected to set a strong leadership example in representing the Company’s value system and cultivate meaningful employee engagement that results in growth and development opportunities for teammates. Represents Merchants’ commitment to “localness” by holding Market Presidents and teams accountable for active community engagement and leadership.
At present, this Regional President will be specifically responsible for the market performance in the communities of Rochester, Onalaska/LaCrescent (Greater LaCrosse area), Caledonia, Spring Grove, Rushford, Lanesboro, and St. Charles. As market expansion continues for Merchants, there is the possibility of modifications to the delegated market responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Additional Qualifications Needed:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Board(s) of Directors, President & CEO of the Company, managers, employees and/or customers.
- Demonstrated ability to provide work direction to others, communicate expectations and manage and appraise the performance of others. Ability to direct the business development activities for the defined market locations of the Region, drawing on personal expertise in sales. Demonstrated ability to interact constructively and effectively with all constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, communicate and implement strategic initiatives within a market and ensure organizational, regional, and/or market level objectives are met.
Bachelor’s degree in business-related area or equivalent combination education and experience. MBA degree or related graduate level education desirable. Completion of graduate level banking school.
A minimum of 10-15 years banking experience in a role with proven management and leadership skills. Banking experience must include leadership in a combination of the following areas: commercial banking, retail banking, mortgage, wealth management, and marketing. Previous President Role in a similar sized Bank preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Passion and commitment for community banking.
- Ability to champion and manage change.
- Timely decision making.
- Highest ethical standards and focus.
- Ability to interact with customers and employees with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Resourceful, innovative and well organized.
- Ability to assess problems and/or unusual situations and develop logical solutions.
- Ability to create a collaborative, motivating and positive team environment to facilitate the rapid pace of change required in the financial services industry.
- Ability to develop and advance skills of staff.
- Advocate for attracting and retaining top talent.
- Negotiation skills.
- Strategic visionary.
- Professional image.
- Working knowledge and understanding of business support functions and their contribution to organizational success including human resources, information technology, accounting, finance and operations support.
- Thorough knowledge/understanding of legal and regulatory matters and industry trends.
- Business Development Track Record.
- Proven Sales Management Skills and Results.
- Execution of Strategic Plan Accountabilities.
Meets or exceeds annual goals as pre-established that are aligned with the strategic plan.
Meets or exceeds budgeted ROE, ROA, or other key metrics.
Retains key senior team members, minimizing unwanted turnover.
Work is performed largely within the Bank with limited chance for personal injury. Prolonged and frequent mental and visual concentration required. Periodic stressful situations in response to multiple priorities within established deadlines. Work hours are generally during normal business hours. Unscheduled evening and weekend work may be needed to meet the needs of customers and employees. Occasional travel between offices and out-of-town/overnight business travel may be required. Must be able to lift and move up to 20 pounds of office supplies and equipment. Some bending, turning, and twisting required. Serve as a representative of the organization at appropriate functions.
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer of Merchants Bank, N.A. & Merchants Financial Group, Inc.
Direct Reports: Senior Lending Officer for South Region; Market Presidents (5) for Rochester, Greater LaCrosse (Onalaska/LaCrescent), Rushford/Lanesboro, Caledonia/Spring Grove, and St. Charles.
This position description describes the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this position and should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It does not state or imply that these are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. The employee may be required to perform other job-related duties. All requirements are subject to change and to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Bank and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the Bank and requirements of the position change.