Merchants Bank, Winona, has an opening for a Trust (Wealth) Officer. The primary role of this position would be to ensure retention of existing clients by maintaining relationships, delivering excellent customer experiences, and addressing client needs on a regular and recurring basis. The ideal candidate would also have the skill and ability to expand our client base by assisting with the development of new relationships. This position will primarily work with investment, IRA and other fiduciary based accounts.
BS/BA degree or equivalent experience required. Minimum of 3 years direct customer contact experience in financial or legal services industry. Knowledge of investments, financial products, legal services, finance or accounting needed. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, strong technological capabilities, and be able to work independently within a team environment. Investment certification such as CTFA or other investment designation (or willingness to pursue such credentials) is preferred.
The primary role of this position would be to ensure retention of existing clients by maintaining relationships, delivering excellent customer experiences, and addressing client needs on a regular and recurring basis. The ideal job candidate would also have the skill and ability to expand our client base by assisting with the development of new relationships.
Maintain Client Base Expectations:
- Serve as the primary contact and relationship manager for an assigned group of existing Trust Department accounts, including irrevocable and revocable trust accounts, POA accounts, investment agency accounts, and individual retirement accounts
- Prepare materials for and handle client meetings
- Perform exemplary customer service for clients by addressing all client requests, needs and issues
- Proactively contact existing client accounts to review existing relationships and address client needs on a regular and recurring basis
- Timely respond to personal contacts and correspondence for Trust Department services and requests for advice concerning investment management, financial planning, and estate planning
- Review all requests for distributions from client relationships, address client distribution needs, and document account files appropriately
- Ensure that all assigned account files are fully documented and meet necessary compliance standards
- Confirm that client assets are appropriately invested, communicated to clients, and investment instructions are properly documented in collaboration with Trust Investment Officer
- Oversee and coordinate when necessary the timely preparation of fiduciary and personal tax documents for clients
Expand Client Base Expectations:
- Proactively develop new client relationships, referral sources, and business opportunities for the Trust Department
- Consistently communicate with existing clients to uncover opportunities for expansion of the relationship
- Accept public appearance assignments and community involvement opportunities to enhance the visibility of Merchants Bank and the Trust Department
- Continue professional development through outside training as needed
- Perform other duties as directed by Trust Department Manager
- Contribute to a positive working environment
- Greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner
- Take responsibility to ensure that internal and external stakeholders receive outstanding customer service
- Complete compliance assignments as needed
- Regular and dependable attendance
Mental Demands / Competencies:
BS/BA degree or equivalent experience. Minimum of 3-5 years direct customer contact experience in relevant financial or legal services industry. Knowledge of investments, legal services, finance, tax or accounting needed. Requires ability to express ideas in a clean, thorough, and concise manner. Requires ability to articulate and communicate clearly.
Position will require a person with above average ability in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and working with numbers, cash flows, and financial accounts. Experience with investments highly beneficial. The ideal candidate will also exhibit the following:
- Good people skills and exhibit a high degree of intuitiveness in response to customer needs including an ability to make customers and prospects feel at ease and make complex discussions simple to understand
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exhibit honesty and sincerity in all customer contact
- Ability to build trust and credibility through customer contact
- Goal and action oriented
- Work independently and manage time efficiently
- Possess strong computer and technical skills including use of Microsoft software products
- Must be a team player
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to effectively apply opening and closing sales techniques to expand customer base
Physical Working Conditions:
Work is primarily performed inside, in the Trust Department, mostly at a desk or at a computer. However, travel to client sites and other bank locations will be necessary. Will have extensive contact with customers, public, and staff, and is to conduct relationships in a manner that will enhance the professional image of Merchants Bank and the Trust Department. Low noise level and no exposure to environmental hazards such as chemicals.
Work will be performed primarily sitting at a desk; very low degree of lifting, generally not over 10 pounds in weight or pressure. Position will require average finger dexterity to operate normal office equipment, such as computer, calculator, phone, copy machine, etc.
Responsible to the Trust Department Manager, other Trust Officers, and other senior operations specialists for fulfillment of functions, job duties, and responsibilities.