Merchants Bank, Winona, is seeking a Mortgage Underwriter to join our team. 1 year of Mortgage Underwriting experience required.
Underwriters are responsible for approving loans and handling other credit related items. Will have extensive contact with all mortgage lenders, mortgage operations staff and correspondent banks. The position requires a well-organized individual with the ability to make sound, independent judgments, and must enjoy dealing with and serving people. This person will work extensively with the secondary market programs, and needs to know Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac underwriting guidelines, Rural Development, and mortgage insurance guidelines.
Please apply in person at Merchants Bank, Winona, 102 E 3rd Street, online at www.merchantsbank.com/about/careers, or e-mail NLMessenger@merchantsbank.com with a cover letter and resume or to request an application.
The person in this position is part of a team that is responsible for mortgage underwriting for our retail lenders at Merchants Bank and for correspondent banks. As an Underwriter, this person will be responsible for approving loans and handling other credit related items. This person will have extensive contact with all mortgage lenders, mortgage operations staff and correspondent banks.
The position requires a well-organized individual with the ability to make sound, independent judgments, and must enjoy dealing with and serving people. This person will work extensively with the secondary market programs, and needs to know Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac underwriting guidelines, Rural Development, and mortgage insurance guidelines.
Regular and dependable attendance is an essential function of the job. Adherence to compliance with laws concerning financial institutions, and completion of compliance courses as required for job description.
- Responsible for determining credit decision on loan applications for initial file submission. Review all loan documentation to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with all investor guidelines.
- During review; analyze credit report, income and asset documentation, appraisal, title work, and any additional documentation needed to satisfy investor requirements.
- Clears conditions on file for final approval.
- Work as a team with other underwriters, processors and mortgage lenders to help meet closing deadlines and provide outstanding customer experience.
- Monitor underwriting help desk.
- Employee will be expected to create a positive, supportive and fun work environment.
- Employee will be expected to contribute to a positive relationship throughout Merchants Bank to promote effective communication.
- Employee will be expected to greet internal and external customers in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Employee will be expected to take responsibility to ensure that internal and external customers receive outstanding service.
- Employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by business needs.
- Employee will be expected to complete compliance and product knowledge assignments in a timely manner.
Inside working environment, comfortable working environment. Low noise environment. No environmental chemical hazards in Bank. Overall, the working environment is very clean and aesthetically appealing.
Work will be performed sitting at a desk, very low degree of lifting; when work involves sitting most of the time, positions are defined as sedentary. Lifting will generally not require over 10 pounds in weight or pressure.
Position will require average finger dexterity to operate normal office equipment, such as computer, calculator, etc. Requires ability to express ideas in a clear, thorough, and concise manner. Requires ability to articulate clearly.
Position will require above-average ability or aptitude in the areas of reasoning, intelligence, and numerical perception. Position requires individual to be action-oriented, an excellent team player, ability to manage time and work effectively, manage self-development, possess oral and written communication skills, and leadership skills.
Customer confidentiality and confidence are critical to success in position. Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills; ability to help people feel at ease. 1-2 years of prior mortgage experience preferred.
Responsible to Underwriting Officer, for clarification of position responsibilities and authority, and for proper interpretation of responsibilities. Position will have high degree of personal and telephone contact with Mortgage Lenders, Mortgage Operations Staff and Correspondent bank customers. Must have ability to work effectively and professionally in team environment.