How can I add or remove someone from my Checking account?
Once your checking account is open, you may decide you'd like to add someone - by making them a joint-owner - or remove someone from your account.
- To add an owner: You can add an owner to an existing account anytime by visiting your local branch with the additional owner.
- To remove an owner: To remove someone from your Checking account, you'll need to close your current account and open a new one.
A Customer Service Representative at your local branch
can assist with any account ownership questions you may have.
What do I need to know when setting up a direct deposit to or automatic payment from my Merchants Bank checking or savings account?
Businesses that originate a direct deposit into your bank account, such as your employer, financial advisor or social security office, or pull automatic payments, such as your utility company, fitness center or clinic/hospital, will provide you with an authorization form that asks for your account information. If any of it is incorrect it will delay the transaction in your account.
1. The Merchants Bank routing number
2. Identify your account type correctly.
If this is incorrect the deposit will not reach your account.
Please note: All savings types can receive direct deposit, but only Basic and Advantage Savings can accommodate automatic payments.
- Select Checking for these account types: Diamond Money Market, Health Savings Account, Personal Checking Accounts, Business Checking Accounts
- Select Savings for these account types: Basic Savings, Advantage Savings, Kids Savers Club, My Future Fund, Summer or Winter Fund.
3. Provide your Full Account Number.
For security reasons, we only display a partial account number in Merchants Online Banking and on account statements. If you need assistance confirming your full account number, please contact your local branch
Is Merchants Bank Free Checking really free?
Yes, our Free Checking offers free:
If you'd like to order checks or use any additional services, please contact us
about fees associated with those services.
How do I reorder checks?
To order checks you may login to your Personal Online Banking and click the Order Checks link on the Accounts Summary page next to the appropriate account. You may also contact us
How safe is my checking or savings account?
How do I switch my checking account to Merchants Bank?
Can I open my account online?
When you select the "apply now" button above, you can begin the account opening process online.
Once you submit your application, a Merchants Bank Customer Service Representative will prepare your account documents and schedule a time for you to come into the nearest Merchants Bank location to sign account documents and complete the account opening process, including ordering your debit card and enrolling for other services you decide may benefit you.
When will I receive my tax forms?
All tax forms, including 1099, will be sent to the mailing address on file with Merchants Bank by January 31 each year. Please note that tax forms are not available online through Online & Mobile Banking.
At what age can I open a checking account?
Children as young as 13 years old may be well served by Student Checking
, but children under 18 must have an additional adult account owner.
What information must I have to open a new checking or savings account?
You may start online
and we’ll contact you to stop in and complete the process, or you may call your local branch
to schedule an appointment.
Please have the following with you:
- Social Security Number of all account owners
- Driver’s license or State ID card
- Home address and phone number
If you are switching banks, you may find our How to Switch Banks