* The Standard & Poor’s 500 (S&P 500) is an unmanaged group of securities considered to be representative of the stock market in general. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted index of 30 actively traded blue-chip stocks. NASDAQ Composite Index is an unmanaged, market-weighted index of all over-the-counter common stocks traded on the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation System. The Morgan Stanley Capital International Europe, Australia and Far East Index (MSCI EAFE Index) is a widely recognized benchmark of non-U.S. stock markets. It is an unmanaged index composed of a sample of companies representative of the market structure of 20 European and Pacific Basin countries and includes reinvestment of all dividends. Barclays Capital Aggregate Bond Index is an unmanaged index comprised of U.S. investment-grade, fixed-rate bond market securities, including government, government agency, corporate and mortgage-backed securities between one and 10 years. Written by Securities America, Copyright October 2018. All rights reserved. Securities offered through Securities America, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC. SAI#2279010.1
Our Financial Advisors and Consultants are committed to providing timely, informational communication. One educational piece we offer is our Weekly Market Commentary. This short, breezy commentary arrives early each week and keeps you up-to-date on the market, economic happenings and keeps you connected with us, whether you are a client or not.
If you would like to receive our market commentary, please contact your Financial Advisor or Consultant.
Market Commentary For the Week of October 15, 2018
|Returns Through 10/12/18||1 Week||YTD||1 Year||3 Years||5 Years|
|Dow Jones Industrials (TR)||-4.17||4.29||13.45||16.78||13.42|
|NASDAQ Composite (PR)||-3.74||8.60||13.74||15.71||14.61|
|S&P 500 (TR)||-4.07||5.07||10.58||13.42||12.48|
|Barclays US Agg Bond (TR)||0.44||-2.10||-1.83||1.12||2.06|
|MSCI EAFE (TR)||-3.93||-7.52||-4.70||4.57||2.98|
- Changes in state and federal laws: Has the state you live in enacted new laws which could impact your will and finances? Have you moved to another state? A new federal tax law doubles the threshold for estate taxes, raising the bar for estate taxes to exclude all but the nation’s richest households – those with estates that exceed $11.8 million per person or $22.36 million per couple. State tax laws vary.
- Major life events such as the birth of a child or grandchild, an adoption, marriage, divorce or death all affect your will and estate.
- In addition to events in your own life, consider events in the lives of your heirs, representatives, trustees or executors. Have your relationships with the people named in your will changed? Their circumstances may have also changed, which could also impact your estate planning and will.
- A substantial increase or decrease in the value of your estate. Have you bought or sold a major asset? Have you started a new business?
- You’re approaching your 70½ birthday and have an IRA, 401(k) or other qualified plan that requires you to begin taking distributions at that age.
Do you have a financial plan? Now is the time to start. Explore our comprehensive approach to building your financial future.
Is it time for an insurance review? Take time to make certain that your family is protected. Explore our options >