How to Switch Your Checking Account to Merchants Bank
Step 1: Gather information about your current account.
- Current checking account number
- Current bank routing number
- Identify outstanding checks and automatic transfers
Examples of automatic payments or withdrawals you may need to switch include:Payroll, social security, disability payments, insurance premiums, cable bills, utility bills (gas, water, electric), gym memberships, homeowner’s association dues, interest or dividend payments, cell phone payments, mortgage or other loan payments, annual or semi-annual automatic transactions such as income tax refunds or payments, or safe deposit box payments, online banking bill payments, church contributions
TIP: If possible, gather the phone numbers from these companies. Often times they are included on the last billing statement you received from them. If you don’t have your last billing statement, don’t worry. We’ll find the information together.
Step 2: Gather information about each account owner for your new account at Merchants.
You will need:
- Driver’s license or State ID card
- Social security card
- Date of birth
- Home address and phone number
Step 3: Change auto deposits or payments.
Helpful information to have handy:
- Merchants Bank routing number (091900193)
- New Merchants Bank checking account number
- Old checking account number
- Old Bank routing number
- Last three months of bank statements
- Recent bills for automatic payments (the form to change the payment may be on the back of the bill itself)
Step 4: Close your old checking account.
When you are sure your direct deposits have been switched to your new account and all your outstanding checks and debit card transactions have cleared, you may close your old checking account.
TIP: Shred your unused checks and destroy your old debt card, or bring them to Merchants Bank and we will destroy them for you, free of charge.
Find Your Routing Number
To find your bank routing number, look a blank check. Your bank routing number should be located on bottom left corner.
Declutter Your Mailbox
With eStatements, you'll save time and paper through easy access to your account info. Learn how to enroll.